Section 8

Special Voucher

Family Unification Program (FUP)

The Family Unification Program (FUP), in partnership with Child Protective Services (CPS), is designed to provide Housing Vouchers to families and youth in need of rental assistance. FUP provides housing to families whose children are in the foster care system or are in jeopardy of imminent placement due to inadequate housing conditions. FUP also provides housing to youth who are between the ages of 18 and 21, who lack adequate housing, no longer qualify under the foster care system, and are actively participating with CPS youth programs. Individuals, who may qualify, must contact their CPS case worker for more details in regards to CPS eligibility criteria. Once the family or young adult have undergone verification, CPS will refer the individual to the PHA and be placed in their waiting list in order to be evaluated under Section 8 policy.

For more information:

Visit U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)


Veteran Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

The Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH), in partnership with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), provides Housing Vouchers to homeless veterans and their families. Veterans must participate in case management and clinical services provided by the VA in order to be considered. Veterans who may qualify must contact the VA to formally verify the VA eligibility criteria. Once the participant has undergone verification, the VA will refer the individual to the PHA in order to be evaluated under Section 8 policy.

US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Information:

Cara Gaukler, LCSW 


HUD-VASH Case Manager

US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
3111 S. 4th Avenue
Yuma, AZ 85364
Office: (928) 317-9973 
Fax: (928) 344-5598


For more information:
Visit U.S. Department of Housing  and Urban Development (HUD)


Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV)- Not accepting new referrals due to HUD funding as of October 2023

The Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV) program is available through the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA). Through EHV, HUD has awarded HACY with 21 housing choice vouchers in order to assist individuals and families who are:

  • Homeless,
  • At risk of homelessness,
  • Fleeing, or attempting to flee, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking, or
  • Were recently homeless or have a high risk of housing instability. 

Direct referrals for EHVs may only come from the Yuma County CoC’s CE System

For more information on determining eligible criteria please contact:

Irannea Bustillos
(928)782-3823 Ext. 135

For more information:

Visit Housing and Urban Development website. 


Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA) - Waiting List is Closed as of January 2024

The TBRA Program provides targeted low-income (60% AMI) households with rent, security deposit assistance and utility assistance for up to approximately 18 months. HACY works with the City of Yuma’s Department of Community Development, Neighborhood Services Division to administer the program. TBRA Program is similar to our Housing Choice Voucher Program in that it requires a participant eligibility determination, unit compliance with Property Standards established by the Yuma County HOME Consortium (YCHC), and payment of rent which cannot exceed the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Fair Market Rent (FMR).

Eligible families are those who: 

  • Families or individuals who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness.
  • Victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking, regardless of sex, gender identity, or sexual orientation. Consistent with the nondiscrimination and equal opportunity requirements at 24 CFR 5.105(a), victims cannot be discriminated against based on any protected characteristic, including race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, disability, or age. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) requirements apply to all HOME-assisted programs.

For more information on application and/or determining eligible criteria please contact:

Ilian Figueroa
(928)782-3823 Ext. 156